Thursday, June 15, 2006

Well yesterday while driving for John, I had something happen which most people would think of it as a good reason to gryp and complain about, but not mrgryper.
While driving the pontiac transport,( which is a real fun car to drive if you are masocistic) in Toronto, a brake line or somthing broke and I had no brakes. I have lost brakes in the past but on standard transmission and in less populated locations. Anyway, I thought it would be no fun to stop ( if I could) where I was and wait for a tow truck And there were not too many vehicles on that particular road and I really wasn't that far from my destination with the transmission I was delivering anyway and I have driven without brakes before plus if I pressed gently and not very often they sort of worked SO what the hell, I might as well keep going.
The next 3 or 4 miles I geared down as I approached traffic lights and was able to time all but one so I didn't have to stop and at that one I geared down then neutral and gently touched the brakes. All the while some idiot behind me kept following me instead of passing.

I finally reached my destination but had to turn left with traffic coming so I sat in neutral till it cleared and pulled up to their door where I took the tranny in then said to the owner "I have a problem, I have no brakes, can I park the car the car out back for a while" which I did and then called John who sent Nick to bring me back to TDS .

All in all it was a lot of fun but I suggest that you "don't try this at home"

4 comments:

SusanE said...

You have a very strange idea of fun. I'm impressed that you were able to pull it off.

Fiddling Granny said...

I think you should change your name from Mr Gryper to Mr Meniss.

Cherylinn said...

The transport is back safely at TDS today. John had it towed, they threw a brake line on it and never had time to bleed the brakes, so it still doesn't have proper brakes and I noticed John had it parked at the back door of the shop unloading it. I asked him about the brakes and he said, "they work a bit now". I assume he is going to bleed them before they take it out on the road again. He just has to find time. Now we are short both of our delivery men so, Nick is back on the road, but in John's truck today.

Laurence Hunt said...

My suggestion was to open the driver door and drag your left foot. Failing that, try driving down the Niagara escarpment and see if they kick back in. If that doesn't work, take up dog sledding - there are NO brakes that work!